Roast Lamb Leftovers- Lamb Biryani
February 5, 2014
Posted by on
As part of the Sainsbury’s ‘Love Your Leftovers’ initiative you may have seen advertised recently, I was asked to put together a recipe using the leftovers from my Sunday roast.This recipe is my take on a lamb biryani using up the remainder of our shoulder of lamb and also making use of the carrots and cabbage we didn’t eat.
300g left over lamb shoulder
300g cooked brown rice
1 medium white onion -sliced
2 cloves garlic- roughly chopped
1 chilli- finely chopped
2 sprigs of fresh mint- finely chopped
15g galangal finely chopped
2 medium eggs
Left over cabbage (roughly a quarter)- finely chopped
2 left over carrots
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon tumeric
1 teaspoon ground corriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon olive oil
200mls cold water
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat the oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds. When they begin to pop, add the onions and brown them on a high heat. Add the garlic, chilli and galangal and continue to cook on a high heat for 30 seconds.
2. Reduce the heat to low and add the spices cooking for a further 2 minutes.
3. Turn the heat up to medium and add the cabbage and carrots and the water. Cook for 5 minutes or until the water has evaporated. Season to taste.
4. Add the rice, lamb and mint and heat through.
5. Clear a space in the pan and crack in 2 eggs. Scramble the eggs before mixing in with the rest of the dish.
6. Garnish with fresh mint.